2020 - Today
- Operates 29 laboratories and 18 schools in 10 countries, with a workforce of over 1,000 professionals, proudly serving the global diamond, gem, and jewelry trade.
- Partners with the Watch & Jewelry Initiative 2030, founded by Kering and Cartier, to build climate resilience, preserve resources and foster inclusiveness.
- Joins the World Diamond Council to protect the integrity of the diamond value chain.
- Certifies historic 7.50 carat lab grown diamond presented to the First Lady of America by the Prime Minister of India.
- Develops multi-language eLearning Courses created to further empower global learning.
- Continues as the laboratory of choice for certification of new world record lab grown diamond achievements.
- Becomes the world’s first gemological laboratory to commit to carbon neutrality, dedicated to uniting the industry through proactive environmental stewardship.
- Establishes a women’s empowerment program in India, helping individuals from socially challenged backgrounds pursue successful careers in the gem and jewelry industry.
- Provides ongoing education & training for prestigious brands and maisons around the world.
- Launches IGI Expressions™, the first international jewelry design competition offered exclusively online and open to everyone, celebrating excellence of talent at all levels.
- Becomes the first global laboratory to offer a cut grading system for fancy shaped diamonds.
- Opens new IGI laboratories and schools in Turkey and Egypt.
- Institutes AI research and technology development.
- Continues growing as the world leader in lab grown diamond grading and finished jewelry grading.
2000 - 2020
- Launches the first jewelry design competition in China, inviting submissions from aspiring designers around the world.Opens new IGI laboratories and schools in Dubai, Israel, HK SAR and China.
- Protects the world’s most prestigious luxury brands with ongoing screening services.
- Becomes the world’s first institute to hold ISO laboratory accreditation for both natural and lab grown diamonds.
- Develops innovative systems for the screening and grading of small diamonds.
- Becomes the first institute to issue co-branded grading reports with leading jewelry brands.
- Introduced the Hearts & Arrows diamond reports to the consumer market.
- Analyzes and grades the first gem-quality lab grown diamonds from General Electric.
1975 - 2000
- Opens new IGI laboratories and schools in Thailand and India.
- Develops breakthrough photoluminescence spectrometer technology, capable of identifying HPHT processed diamonds.
- Becomes the first institute to provide rough diamonds courses for professionals.
- Opens the first IGI School Of Gemology in Antwerp.
- Introduces the patented IGI LaserScribe inscription system, used today by all major labs.
- Develops tamper proof security sealed reports for diamonds and colored stones.
- Becomes the first gemstone grading laboratory to issue Jewelry Identification Reports.
- Opens new IGI laboratories in New York.
- IGI was founded in Antwerp, Belgium, by Marcel Lorie in 1975.